Sunday, October 20, 2013

More About Left/Right

What you see in the photo below couldn't have arrived in my inbox at a more opportune time. This photo was sent to me by "Marco Farrero". Now that name might not mean anything to you but it sure does to me and it should to you as well because every time you deliver a curling stone, I'll wager you use his product (with his name emblazoned on the back side). Yes, it's the industry standard Marco Hack! In an exchange of emails w/Marco, I learned that we've been using his hacks for longer than I had recalled, since 1988!

I mentioned to Marco that his hack is one of my favourite trivia questions, the answer to which you are now aware ("What's the name of the hacks used in the vast majority of curling centres?"). But here's a better question about the Marco Hack. What is its most useful design feature (and there are a few excellent design features but this one stands out in my view)? Well, the next time you go to your curling facility, place your hand on the sloped portion of the hack, the trapezoid shaped part. What do you notice. Yes, it's not flat, it's concave. Hmmm, I wonder why Marco did that? Any ideas? If you do, place your idea into the comment section below. I'll reveal the answer in an upcoming blog.

But, this post is regarding that left/right matter about which I've written lately. Marco has suggested that his hacks be positioned in a side-by-side configuration as seen in the photo. In fact, those nice folks at "Canada Curling Stone" have created a plate that will allow an ice technician to easily choose to position the hacks as they are presently configured in your curling facility OR in this side-by-side manner.

Marco's contention is sound. If they're place side-by-side, then with the curler positioning the middle of the stone relative to the inside edge of the hack being employed (or opposite the arm pit, whichever reference point you prefer), the "stone setup" part of the TTC (Team Technical Checkup [see last post]) is almost identical right from the start.

Great idea Marco! I hope it has legs and is given serious consideration by the game's sport governing bodies!


6 comments:

  1. I know that the idea as proposed by Marco F. was tested at a Shorty event and teams that lift their rock were not happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those that don't lift their rocks generally liked the idea. Not all lifters were against it. Next time you watch Kevin Martin or Glenn Howard on television, you'll notice that they position their foot on the Inside edge of the hack. By moving the hacks side by side, Kevin and Glenn could position their foot in the middle of the hack which is a more stable set-up. Bye the way, tests with only one hack down the middle didn't work.

    Marco Ferraro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed the MARCO hacks are concave! Thanks to your hint I realized it for the first time after several years of sliding delivery. This IS a real eye-opener.

    The reason for this form? Well, I guess this concave design supports an optimal transmission of the kick-pression for the different lines of deliveries from the left-hand outside of the house, the along the center line, to the right-hand outside of the house. Looking forward to read your answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, unfortunately the picture isn't visible neither on my desktop nor on my mobile app.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10/25/2013 Picture is visible now! Thy!

      Delete
  5. Why not one hack placed on the centre line?

    ReplyDelete